P.E. & Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government has provided funding of £150 million per annum since 2013 to ‘provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sports and PE for all their chidlren.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs